Thursday, August 26, 2010

Heidelberg: Prost!


Continuing on our journey we made it into Heidelberg after a series of trains and were greeted by two of my good friends, Kirsten and Patrick. Kirsten, my old roommate and one of my best friends, had been studying in Heidelberg for the past year, and Patrick is doing an internship in Northern Germany and decided to take the train down to visit. We got in around 4pm and quickly found out we were going to have a bit of a journey to get into Barcelona. The train we wanted to take had become fully booked and our best option turned into staying another night and working our way into Southern France (which just gave me more time with Kirsten, so zero complaints). We managed to see most of the city that day and worked our way up to the ruins of the old castle there where we could see the entire city. So gorgeous. Also proving the point that we live in such a small world, an old friend of Patch's from boarding school happened to being going to the university in Heidelberg and knew Kirsten, so she joined us for the sight seeing. That night we got to try our first taste of German food (wiener schnitzel - sooo good) and beer (also amazing). We got back to Kirsten's dorm relatively early and Jenn, Patrick, and I all managed to play a bit of sleeping tetras and all find a way to fit on her dorm floor
- not the most comfortable but after all the travel it didn't really matter. All we wanted to do was sleep.

On the second day we went through a bunch of the shops in old town Heidelberg and just explored more around the city before making a home cooked meal back in Kirsten's dorms. Patch left us around lunch time to head up north which gave us some girl time. I hadn't realized how much I missed Kirsten before arriving. After food we went out to a couple different bars and at the last one I was so tired while we waited for a cab I actually fell asleep in the middle of the smokey room. I guess getting such little sleep finally took its toll on my body. Jenn, Kirsten, and the others woke me up a bit later to get in the cab and we headed home for the night. Jenn and I jetted off pretty early in the morning on another train journey (Heidelberg-Mannheim-Paris-Marseilles-Montpelier), starting to work our way to Barcelona.

No comments:

Post a Comment